Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: mismatched JRSC pulley, is it safe?? Need to know asap!!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Tad3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2004
    Posts
    162
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok what happened is I was sold a 96+ sohc JRSC kit, under the impression it was for a 92-95 sohc civic(which is what I have, a jdm d15b vtec in a cx hatch).

    Now the only reason I found this out was due to JR's tech support, which I might add is really really outstanding, kudos to them.

    Basically the supercharger pulley is alittle out of alignment with the crank and alternator pulleys, also it's for a 3rib while the others are 4rib.

    I've got it all hooked up, but I couldnt get it tightened down enough, and my battery died [img]frown.gif[/img] batt light was flashing on/off for a while till it died.. I thought the batt would be ok though, cuz it seemed like the alt was just going on/off not that it wasn't charging at all.

    SO I'd like to know, if I get a shorter belt, and tighten it down properly, will it be safe to run it like this. Only temporarily! I already ordered the proper SC pulley, but the car died on the way home from work so I want to get out there and throw in a better belt and drive it home.

    Basically I would like to know if I can run this temporarily, will the supercharger be safe? I'm worried about damaging the bearings on the supercharger. I don't intend to overtighten it.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 08, 2004 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Tad3d ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2004
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you are asking if its OK to drive the car without spinning the supercharger, then yes, you are fine. If you are asking if its OK to run the car with the supercharger belt going through some contortions because the crank pulley doesn't line up with the other pullies, then I would say no. The belt likely won't stay on.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Tad3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2004
    Posts
    162
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Jaker:
    If you are asking if its OK to drive the car without spinning the supercharger, then yes, you are fine. If you are asking if its OK to run the car with the supercharger belt going through some contortions because the crank pulley doesn't line up with the other pullies, then I would say no. The belt likely won't stay on.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm asking the ladder,
    and assuming that it WILL stay on,
    got it like that right now, and it stays on, even though the belt is also too long and loose.
    However my alt isn't working right, belt hasnt fallen off the alt pulley, but i'm assuming it's slipping instead of turning the alt.

    The SC pulley is out of alignment only slightly, like less than half an inch I would imagine.

    yeah i'm kinda fishing for an answer,
    but I do want to make sure that this isnt something with a high risk of damaging the supercharger itself!

    thanks!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member spidermancivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2003
    Posts
    124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ive ran my car without the SC to alt belt for almost a month. I so missed how much quieter my car runs with out the SC spinning. Anyways running without the SC-alt belt is fine.

    Running without the Alt -crank belt will run you into troubles. Isnt your battery drained? Because that is what happened to me. I will never run without the SC-alt belt ever again. Cost me $80 for a new battery.

    If your pulley is out of alignment and you get a shorter belt for a temporary replacement, it will just eat away at the inner ribs if you tighten it good. It will just squeel and eventually start slipping or break sooner or later. If it was me, I would just wait for the replacement pulley.

    Where do you live? If you live near Jackson, they will get your shipments out to you the next ups bussiness day. So cal orders today, gets it tommorrow. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Tad3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2004
    Posts
    162
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yep, thats exactly what happened,
    battery drained out and stranded me at work.

    I just took it to pepboys and had them recharge it,
    put it back in the car, and drove the car home.
    it was at night though so I had to use my headlights, almost ran out of battery power!

    this was with the belt attached though,
    I guess it was just slipping hardcore, the alt wasn't charging, and I think it was slipping on the sc belt too.

    seems a waste to run a supercharger without the belt attached though.. just cuz it's quieter! hah.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Tad3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2004
    Posts
    162
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    oh by the way,
    I got my replacement SC pulley from JR,
    and a new belt, its' 1" shorter than recommended,
    but I think it should be ok(48" belts are hard to find!)
    also the new belt setup will have an extra rib, so should grib better too.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member spidermancivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2003
    Posts
    124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    NAPA has all the belt sizes you can ever think of. they are however cheap. best belts ive used were gatorbacks and kelley springfields.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Tad3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2004
    Posts
    162
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ah, I think napa is the last place that I haven't checked yet. You say they're lowquality though?

    basically I think I might have buy my FOURTH belt,
    I got the new SC pulley on there, but the idle pulley didnt sit out far enough and the edge of my new belt(had to slice off 1 rib from a 5rib to make it 4) is starting to rip.

    I'm going to add a washer to the idler to get more room and see if that works.

    bummer though, I have to pull the SC off the head to replace belts now [img]frown.gif[/img]

    FUCKING converting this shit to work on my car is turning to be a BITCH!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •